WINCHESTER YOUTH LACROSSE
(@sachems_youth_lax on Instagram)
2019 SPRING SEASON
PROGRAM MISSION AND GOALS
- Provide boys, K-8, with an inclusive lacrosse program that is capable of supplying the home-grown varsity-ready lacrosse players to the High School program.
- Create a noticeable lacrosse community within Winchester that supports kids and parents at all Grades and skill levels.
- WYL will be focused on developing skilled and confident players, while stressing program-wide goals targeting teamwork, sportsmanship and having fun.
- House League (K-2) is focused on introductory skill development;
- 3rd grade is a transition year from HL to inter-town play and small ball format;
- Goal for 4th and 5th grade teams will be to prepare players to be ready to compete at a highest level of the TPL; and
- Middle school classes will focus on high level of play, with an emphasis on B player retention.
- Our program strives to produce players capable of playing in “Division 1” of the TPL during 6-8 years.
- The organization will treat all players that live in, or have a parent that works in, Winchester as if they will attend WHS - even if they do not currently attend Winchester Public Schools or have no plans of doing so.
- WYL is a K-8th Grade program, but will continue to support 9th – 12th Grade players during their off-season.
Tryouts – Located at AP Sports, 33 Upton Drive, Wilmington, MA 01887. Players are welcome to come to both sessions, but only NEED to show up to one (1) session.
- 5th Grade – 12PM-1PM on March 2nd and 16th
- 6th Grade – 1PM-2PM on March 2nd and 16th
- 7th Grade – 2PM-3PM on March 2nd and 16th
- 8th Grade – 3PM-4PM on March 2nd and 16th
All Lax Assembly – March 31st at the Winchester HS. Time TBD.
Season Starts. Season Starts week of April 1st (which is always extremely weather dependent).
WHAT IS NEW?
FIVE (5) NEW things that will affect WYL this Spring
(1) Skillings Field. Possible relocation of our K-4th program to Skillings Field. Skillings will also be an option for full-field teams on grass and turf (assuming we can stripe accordingly). Stay Tuned.
(2) New Saturday Programing:
- Rather than scattered skills practices by grade, we will schedule skill clinics (faceoff; goalies; shooting) on 6 Saturdays (3 in April; 3 in May).
- We will simultaneously run U-based small-ball scrimmages (full pads, full speed) on Saturdays at the same time as the clinics (U9; U12; U15). These scrimmages will be run by AGCs and the HS players.
- Clinics will be coached by guys like Mike Maggio, Mark DeMieri and Kyle Rowe, as well as some of our best HS players.
(3) Changes to TPL Rules (new or emphasized this Spring):
- Long poles permitted starting in 5th grade. Poles cannot be taller than the player using them (so-called Tiger poles). 5th and 6th graders – we do not suggest that you go out and buy a long pole right away. Consult your coaches before you do so.
- B-Team players are permitted to play UP and DOWN, so long as they stay on the applicable grade’s B squad. WYL will only permit this in very limited instances.
- What would this look like? WYL will only allow in the following example: Say the that 6th grade B Team is light on numbers for a specific game. If scheduling permits a 5th grade B Team player to play a second game with the 6th grade B Team (time and travel being considered), we will allow that 5th grader to play with the 6th grade B Team instead of asking a 6th grade A player to play twice.
- 2nd grade House Leaguers will have an opportunity to play in a Spring Jamboree at the end of the season (like 3rd and 4th graders).
- Potential for divisional changes this Spring or next (Stay Tuned).
- Stronger enforcement of kids being too older per TPL rules. WYL must deliver a list of players and ages to the TPL in late March. Reminder on age rules below. There are ways to appeal if you are interested (contact Chris Froeb).
- 5th Grade Division… born on or after 05/01/2007
- 6th Grade Division… born on or after 05/01/2006
- 7th Grade Division – born on or after 05/01/2005
- 8th Grade Division – born on or after 05/01/2004
(4) Spring Tryouts (Rising 4th – 7th)
- WYL will have June tryouts for the following season.
- Supplemental tryout will occur in late March for kids that are new to program, or kids that improved during the offseason.
(5) Fundraising. We will fund raise in late April/early May. Cost for enrolling in WYL programs pays for field rentals, gear packages (described below), tourney admissions and paid coaches. We run our program extremely close to break-even. We do not over-charge to build-up large reserves – hence the need to fund raise.
GRADE BASED PROGRAMING
HOUSE LEAGUE (K-2nd).
- Age Group Coordinator and Volunteer/Parent run.
- One (1) all-grade practice during the week; Saturday scrimmages; Sunday games; evenly weighted teams.
- More game-play this year with the Saturday drop-in scrimmages.
- Note - Program is possibly moving to Skillings grass.
SMALL BALL (3RD – 4TH).
- Age Group Coordinator and Parent run.
- Small-ball format. 7 v 7, with goalies.
- Two (2) practices during the week; Saturday scrimmages; Sunday games (except for make-up games); evenly weighted teams required by TPL.
- 4th Graders will learn the full field game in preparation of the Border Battle at Avon Old Farms.
FULL FIELD PLAY (5th– 8TH).
- Age Group Coordinator are main point of organization and manage paid coaches. 1-2 AGCs remain the main contact for parents and players.
- Two (2) practices during the week; Saturday games (except for make-up games); teams broken into A and B teams by WYL in the late Winter.
- Encourage all teams to play in the Border Battle at Avon Old Farms.
- Note, these grades could have “free” weekends if new scheduling rules are imposed to be filled with tourneys or out of TPL games.
ADMISSIONS AND GEAR
- Generally. Cost for enrolling in WYL programs pays for field rentals, gear packages (described below), tourney admissions and paid coaches.
- House League – All kids will receive (a) a reversible Winchester lacrosse jersey to be worn all season (practices and games), and (b) Winchester Lacrosse bumper sticker/magnet.
- 3rd – 4th Grade. Enrollment will include (a) practice pinnie (each Grade will have distinct color/design); (b) a reversible game pinnie; and (c) Winchester Lacrosse bumper sticker/magnet.
- 5th – 8th Grade
- Enrollment will include (a) practice penny (each Grade will have distinct color/design); (b) Winchester lacrosse shorts, and (c) Winchester Lacrosse bumper sticker/magnet.
- WYL provide players with their own game-jerseys – they will be returned at the end of each season.
- We will offer a pre-season sale of gear like (a) WYL lacrosse bags, (b) Winchester lacrosse hoodies, (c) Winchester lacrosse hats, and (d) Winchester lacrosse socks.
2019 Spring Pricing
- House League: $275
- 3rd – 4th: $285
- 5th - 8th Grade: $325
(Reach out to WYL for scholarship consideration)